GIAC Stage 1 software upgrades are now available for the all new “high security” MQB 8V S3 and MK7 Golf R ® worldwide!
GIAC Stage 1 software upgrades are now available for the all new “high security” MQB 8V S3s and MK7 Golf Rs ® worldwide! These software upgrades still offer the same great gains as our existing high output MQB software, but require a software unlock in order to be OBD2 port flashed. To be unlocked, these ECUs must currently be sent to GIAC for a one-time unlock service. Once unlocked by GIAC, these cars can be flashed and re-flashed with GIAC dealer or OEM tools and files like previous versions of the S3 / Golf R. The unlocked status will not be reversed by OBD reflashes and updates with current OEM or after-market tools. GIAC's unlock service rate is $200 US plus shipping. Please contact GIAC before sending in your ECU. For GIAC customers who aren't near a GIAC dealer, we have solutions to remotely program your ECU set in place.
GIAC software upgrades offer dramatic performance improvements over factory software, but retain factory-like drivability. On 91 octane fuel, performance gains are measured at 40 – 50 horsepower and 45 – 55 5 ft. /lbs. of torque to all four wheels. In some areas of the power band, gains are as high as 53 horsepower and 63 ft. /lbs. of torque (at four wheels) over stock. On 100 octane fuel or E30 blend, performance gains are measured at 50 – 60 horsepower and 55 – 65 ft. /lbs. of torque to all four wheels. Gains are as high as 60 horsepower and 65 ft. /lbs. of torque (at four wheels) over stock in some areas. Our engineers have developed this calibration to ensure smooth drive quality and no issues with surging, turbo over-speed, EPC lights or limp modes, when no actual hardware failures are present. For DSG models, GIAC has also spent a great deal of time ensuring that the programming maintains power delivery between gear shifts. Stage 1 does do not require any additional hardware upgrades; however, additional hardware upgrades, depending on design, usually allow for more power to be made.
Thank you to supporters who have played an important role in setting this product apart from other tuning options:
- exam23 on VWVortex for allowing GIAC to study his Golf R engine controllers;
- Emmanuele Design for lending its in-house project S3 for GIAC development of the prototype software calibration and providing real world testing assistance and feedback; and,
- Our international performance partners, Statller, SORS Japan, Servicio JJimenenz, E-51 and E & A Autosport, for testing "beta" files in different environments, elevations and fuel quality.
Other notable features include the following:
- properly calibrated air/fuel ratios,
- dramatically improved throttle response for a drive-by-cable system feel (throttle delay removed)
- raised speed limiters to factory redline in final drive gear
- optimized torque control for smoother, faster shifting with consistent power across all gears
GIAC’s Flashloader handheld switcher is available for this application, complete with the following switching options:
- 100-octane performance
- Privacy Firewall
RAW All Wheel Power Dyno Plot: Stage 1 - 100 octane versus Stage 1 - 91 octane versus Stock:
Engine estimated horsepower on 91 octane.
- SStage 1 91 oct gains over stock: +45 horsepower / +50 ft. / lbs. of torque at four wheels
- Stage 1 100 oct gains over Stock: +51 horsepower / +59 ft. / lbs. of torque at four wheels
Maximum Stage 1 power gains over stock – 91 octane:
- +53 horsepower / +63 ft. / lbs. of torque at four wheels
Maximum Stage 1 power gains over stock – 100 octane:
- +60 horsepower / +65 ft. / lbs. of torque at four wheels
Available locked ECUs if build date is after 3/15/15:
- 8V0906259H – 0002
- 8V0906259E – 0002
Existing available unlocked ECUs if build date is before 3/15/15:
- 8V0906259B – 0001
- 8V0906259E – 0001
- 8V0906259E – 0002